Friday, 9 April 2010

Georgia Jagger - Rimmel campaign


I was on someone's Facebook profile earlier when I noticed they had joined a group titled 'Get the London look... nah you're alright, sort out your teeth.'

Having an interest in fashion and make-up (Rimmel also being one of my favourite brands), I decided to go onto the group to see what it was about.
I should have guessed that it would be a group aimed at taunting Georgia Jagger (now part of the Rimmel campaign) about her teeth.

It came as no surprise that many of the comments left on the page's 'wall' were from girls.
The comments in which I read were mostly ones which insulted Georgia, saying 'how can that girl be a model, especially for lipstick?', 'she looks like a horse' and so on.
However there were also comments from girls which were supportive of the campaign and saw that the gap in Georgia's teeth drew attention to her mouth.. which would then draw attention to the lipstick which the campaign is for.

The reason in which I've decided to write about this facebook group is because I find it ridiculous at how shallow and judgemental people are.
From reading Vogue I have seen in a lot of campaigns, models who have a gap in their teeth.. so what Georgia has is not unusual and should not cause people to say that she should not be a model.

I previously posted a post in 2009 about Georgia Jagger and how she was one of my favourite models.
I also mentioned her teeth, and how they make her stand out from the crowd.
That is what model agencies want - someone who is quirky and has a different look from everyone else.


2 comments:

  1. someone i know just joined another group with the same purpose and i clicked on it to see what it is about. how cruel. georgia is gorgeous, and if a gap in your teeth has now been added to the list of what the world deems "ugly" then it's officially going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I don't disagree with the fact that the innumerable Jagger offspring are all gorgeous, you don't seem to have taken into account how fickle the industry in itself is.
    The current trend for gap-toothed models will prove to be just that - a trend - and those models who possess the feature and who don't have icons for parents will be pushed to one side just like every other passing fad.
    I do think that she is a gorgeous girl, but the quirkiness she possesses will soon go out of fashion as the 'different' look loses its difference.
    x

    ReplyDelete